I recently took a hiatus from doing videos due to a death in my family. I’m back somewhat now doing videos now. Newest video is now up on my channel with somewhat more detail about why it took so long. Two losses in one month is a lot. There will be a new cover and logo coming soon. Hope you check out my wicked witch Tutorial on YouTube https://youtu.be/kfR0Ni2KvMw
So today I uploaded a video I filmed last week. It’s a GRWM style video showing how to fake being awake. I’m going to elaborate on those here as well as give you some more pointers. I’ve gathered these tips from various places. I’ll have links below to some of the articles and videos that helped me to think of tips.
Here is today’s video! It’s a talk through tutorial using the Maybelline Natural Smokes quad. I also use 3 Maybelline lipsticks as well. You can see it here.
Today I posted a video showing how close I have to have a mirror or my phone to do my makeup. So you are seeing exactly how I have to have things to see what I am doing. Honestly I like how this came out. I thought I will also go into how companies and other people can help to make beauty more accessible.
Try to imagine this…
You walk into a store in another country with writing you don’t understand. You are looking for a foundation that you know works for you. For example, if live in the US maybe you go to Japan and spot the Maybelline Fit Me foundation. You know what shade you are in by number such as 220. Due to it being a foreign country they don’t have 220 written out rather the numbers are in their script instead. Not very accessible for you right?
That would in a way be similar to what I am talking about here. Only making it more accessible for those with disabilities rather than the example. I simply gave that example so that maybe it would help those that are not visually impaired understand a little better.
- Maybelline Baby Skin
- Maybelline Fit Me – 220
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind – Medium
- Elf HD powder
- BH Cosmetics Forever Nude Sculpt and Glow
- Brow Precise Micro Pencil
- Maybelline Master Precise Skinny – Black
- Maybelline Lash Sensational
- Neutrogena Moisture Smooth Lipstick – 140 Grapefruit
I was born with Optic Nerve Atrophy with Nystagmus and a cleft lip and palate. So I have had a lot surgeries to repair my face. I had experimental surgery in 2014 to try to repair my vision as well. My condition basically means my optic nerve didn’t develop right in the womb. My vision is currently at 20/600 in my left eye and 20/400 in my right eye. Vision acuity means basically what I can see at twenty feet people with perfect vision can see at four hundred and six hundred feet. In other words what someone with good vision can see at thirty feet I have to have at one foot. So being able to see is kinda hard for me at times especially when things are standing in the way of making it accessible. That is why I decided to post this post alongside my video.
Displays are the main area that I think I should start. I am going to focus on the categories of foundation, lipsticks, and liners as these are the three areas that I see the most help being needed in this aspect. Mainly that these are not clearly marked enough to tell what shades are what. They aren’t clearly marked so it makes it harder for someone with vision impairments to find the shade they want. Especially for foundation and liner. Lipsticks it is easier if the color is on the facing of the display. However some displays are difficult to tell while some are clearly marked but due to the next topic the wrong product is still bought so that is a lack of attention by store staff to ensure everything is in the proper place.
One major factor in being able to tell what things are for me is packaging. I am not sure if you have seen it, but I go on a mild rant about packaging of a mask in one of my videos. You can find that video above. I find it is difficult to see what shade things are because the print is so small I can’t read it or the print is such a light color that I cannot read it. Some products as I have mentioned in my Foundations video have the shade number well identified. You can see what I am talking about in the video below. The Maybelline Fit Me series of foundations and Covergirl Ready Set Gorgeous are the two brands that I think do an awesome job.
The directions also could be a lot clearer. I made a point about this on the mask video I mentioned earlier as well. They are not clear and easily read. This can make application of a product very difficult for the person if they can’t read them. I know there is a space issue, but it is possible to do a sticker or a QR code on products for people who can’t see it to easily get information. Not all products have that, but some do which is amazing. That is very helpful. It can even be put on foundations in the expandable insert that is on some foundations.
I know these may not be a big deal to some of you, but I think those with vision impairments would find it helpful. I hope that companies will make things more visually impaired friendly so that we are able to enjoy it as much and find it as well as other people.
If you have any questions, you are welcome to contact me at any time by visiting my contact me page above. I would love to hear about your suggestions and experiences.
I know we are getting closer to the middle of May, but I thought I’d share a list of all my favorites last month. I’ll also be sharing products that didn’t work out as well. Let me know if you’d want me to make this a regular thing!
First off let’s do makeup stuff, then other beauty related items, and finally non beauty items.
- Primer – Monistat chafing powder gel has become my go to primer recently. It’s an awesome primer to help keep oil at bay. If you’ve seen my videos you’ll see that I use this regularly.
- Foundation – Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream has been a go to this month as I haven’t been wearing much makeup. This is fast and easy to put on.
- Concealer – Maybelline Instant Age Rewind is my go to as you may have guessed. It is so easy to put this on and fast to blend.
- Powder – Elf HD powder has been the powder I reach for when and if I set my foundation.
- Contour, blush, and highlight – BH Cosmetics Forever Nude Sculpt and Glow palette is awesome for all three of these. It’s also quick because everything is in one palette.
- Eyeshadow base – NYX Milk has quickly become a favorite of mine recently. I use it when I’m going to do a full eye look.
- Eyeshadow – Elf Aqua Beauty Molten Liquid Eyeshadow in Rose gold has become my go to for a quick look. It’s fast and easy to apply, blend, and go! Highly recommend that for a quick look.
- Lips – Maybelline Baby Lips glow has been a go to for me because it’s so fast and moisturizing to put on.
- Tools – UCanB brushes are awesome. They are soft and work wonderfully at applying makeup.
- Makeup remover and face wash – Equate Foaming 2 in 1 cleaner has become a major favorite of mine for removing my makeup. Haven’t found any wipes that do it as well.
- Exfoliating face wash – Equate Polished and Radiant Facial Scrub.
- Don’t have a moisturizer to really mention or a toner
- Shampoo and Conditioner – Garnier Fructus Damage Eraser
- Deep Conditioner – Salon Selectives Damage Repair is awesome. I find it at Dollar Tree and like it better than other brands. Planning a review on this conditioner soon.
- TV show – Pretty Little Liars is my absolute favorite! It’s such a good show.
- Blog – Gail M. Coash blog is my absolute favorite honestly. My best friend’s blog for her books she’s writing. She is very talented. I hope you subscribe to her blog as well.
- Photo Editor – GMC Photo Editing which is done by Gail as well. She is so talented and has done many photos for my YouTube channel and this blog! Check her out and like her Facebook page.
What are some of your favorites? Would you like to see favorite makeup products in action for when I do this month favorites? Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments as well. You can find all of my social media on my Contact Me! page. Please subscribe so you’ll know when I post new posts
Recently I did a Foundation Do’s and Don’ts video which you can see here.
I also invite you to check out the playlist Beginner Beauty Series!
I thought I would share the links to some of the products I mentioned as well as some more in depth tips that I forgot or did not have time to mention in the video in a question v answer way. So I hope that you enjoy and let me know some of your tips for foundation application as well.
Continue reading “Foundation FAQ – Beginner Beauty Series part 3”